Thursday, May 26, 2005

Music in Estes Park: Rocky VI

I always have a good time at workshops. I see people I haven't seen for a while, stay in beautiful places and usually learn something new about the music we play. This year for example, I learned that Giovanni Gabrieli, is credited for composing the first double choir music which was ideally suited for Saint Mark's Basilica (where he was principal organist) and which led to the emergence of modern symphony orchestras.
Topics and teachers vary per workshop. Participants choose the classes and the instructors they prefer. I chose "advanced" classes which included Recorder Challenges: by Frances Blaker, Variations on "Bergamasca": by Connie Primus and Fugal Flauto: by Mark Davenport , a demanding schedule dominated with music by J.S. Bach and Ludwig Senfl among others.
As it turned out, I didn't play very well which was primarily due to my poor breathing and articulation. I wish I could blame it on the 7,ooo plus feet altitude but I really can't.
So for me, (neither a professional performer or scholar), it's not just about the music, history, styles and techniques but whether I learn something about myself.