Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Back but only half full

It's been almost 2 weeks since I've been able to post or comment and I've become a complete desperado. I have a new laptop but my PC is in melt down. I swear Windows 98 has a self destruct command. Everything was fine until my ISP crashed. It took over 2 days for Comcast to get it together and ever since I have not been able to surf. My browser(s) were highjacked! Whatever I did, uninstall programs, reinstall programs, check settings, reset settings, nothing worked. The truth is Windows 98 is old technology and no one wants to support obsolete technology. I guess I should feel lucky it has lasted me 6 years. But I have felt very frustrated.

I did think about my "Mover & Shaker" days, when someone would solve these problems for me or at least expedite the process. It was questionable how important I truly was in Corporate America but I did have access to resources. Granted, managing those resources could be challenging, even daunting but there were definite benefits.

I abandoned all that for a life of comfort and leisure, ahem to work at home. Much has been written about people, like me, leaving the fast track for the slow lane and many people have given up big jobs (and large incomes) for small things, you know like having dinner with your family regularly and making the hours in your day yours, not someone elses .

My friends all thought I was nuts, too capable, too talented, with too much to offer to be satisfied with anything less than the march to the relentless corporate drumbeat, as if that could ever be entirely fulfilling. It is one thing to bamboozle your clients and collegues, it's quite another to fool your friends. I was stunned. Apparently, I am too smart to stay at home, volunteering my time, sitting on non-profit boards, dealing with the pitfalls and the triumphs of domesticity (and there are so many more than I imagined).

Honestly, I am exactly where I want to be and even though my computer skills (and patience) need considerable improvement, I'm back to making some noise...