Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanksgiving

Wow! Things have gotten away from me (again?). I'm headed back to Mich. and Ill. to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends. I'll be away for 8 days but I am hoping to find some time post.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am excited to spend it with people I don't see very much.
It doesn't matter who you are, what you believe or where you are in your life, everyone has some reason to be grateful. Certainly I am no exception.
Wikipedia has a good article about the holiday. I had forgotten President Lincoln made it a national holiday and the speech he gave is included. I was totally unfamiliar with the text but found it especially moving and powerful since he gave it in the midst of the Civil War (with his popularity at an all time low).
It seems I take a lot for granted these days. But I'm hoping to change that this year. When I return from my trip I will be a whole year older (and oh so much wiser). That by itself is worth some gratefulness.
I hope you all can think of something to be thankful for and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!