Friday, October 14, 2005

Indian Summer in Denver

The snow has completely melted in Denver. The sky is blue and the temperatures are mild. As Northeasterners are deluged with rain, we are experiencing Indian Summer. It almost makes me feel guilty.

The city and the neighborhood in which I reside was exceptionally lucky. The heavy wet snow was less damaging than in the past. But the southern and southeastern suburbs didn't fare as well. I have friends who lost 80% of their trees. The thunderous sounds of branches bending, breaking and crashing onto the ground is unforgettable and will continue to echo within their heads for some time I imagine.

To my knowledge, only one fatality was reported. A woman shoveling snow was killed instantly (mercifully) from a large 8" diameter fallen branch and 20,000 people were out of power. Things could and have been considerably worse.

Nevertheless, I have been consumed with cleaning up, my excuse for not blogging, and not an entirely unpleasant task during this beautiful time of year. Despite the snow and 40 degree change in temperature within 24 hours, broken branches and crushed folliage, some flowers have survived and the trees continue with their spectacular display of color change. I have a pin oak just outside the backdoor that is nearly radiant with crimson, chartreuse and ocher leaves, colors so intense, it almost appears unnatural.

I am constantly amazed at the ferocious destruction and devastation that the natural world imposes as well as its miraculous resilience and capacity for recovery. As horrible as the recent catastrophic events have been my respect, awe and appreciation for the powerful forces of nature has deepened.