Thursday, August 04, 2005

The movie: Stealth

It was a rainy day in Denver so I rewarded myself with a matinee. I took myself to see the movie Stealth. Based on the vast majority of reviews, I must be be in the miniscule percentile who actually enjoyed the movie.
The storyline is a bit worn, unbridled power combined with ruthless ambition and technology run amok. Even with a few twists, it was still predictable. But I didn't go see it for the plot. I went to see it for the Black Jets and I was not disappointed.
Visually, this movie is captivating , really beautiful and exciting to watch. I loved the camera zooming onto the aircraft carrier in open water and it was flat out thrilling to see these jets take off and land not to mention the spectacular aerial shots. (I love roller coaster rides too).
Make no mistake, this is a action film and there is plenty of it with lots of big time explosions. Shakespeare it's not.
Still I liked the actors. I thought they were well cast. I admit I have a fondness for Sam Shepherd an actor in my opinion who never bought into the Hollywood glamour ideals. He makes the best of a disappointing role playing an over zealous military commander.
But, I really liked the female pilot. I thought she was the obligatory eye candy until she took off her jacket and revealed well developed deltoids and (gasp) triceps, a woman with real muscles, no skinny chick with fake boobs! With a slight stretch of imagination, it's almost conceivable that she could survive being shot down and chased in enemy territory.
As I said before , the plot and the characters were not the reasons I saw the film. The B-2's stole the show.
So why is it that every single review I've read or seen absolutely pans it? Am I the only person on Earth mesmerized by the power, beauty and technological wonder of the Stealth fighter? Of course not.
I don't think the critics want you to like this movie. Americans aren't supposed to be awestruck by the incredible technology our military advances. We're not supposed to be impressed by Aircraft Carriers and the precision flying required to land on them. We're not supposed to be astonished by in-flight refueling. The tools of the military are "war machines" and should in no way be glorified , much more be sources of entertainment. Well phooey!
Stealth is an exciting, action packed, beautifully filmed movie. I plan on seeing it several times and maybe even picking up the soundtrack. Chrissy Hynde from the Pretenders sings. So don't be fooled by the reviews (and the somewhat preposterous plot). It's still worth seeing.