Saturday, July 02, 2005

Faces that wear well

The news of Anne Bancroft's death a couple of weeks ago got me thinking about some of my other favorite actors/actresses and celebrities. The last time I saw her was in Up at the Villa, an adaptation of a Somerset Maugham short story. She played Princess San Ferdinando, a flamboyant, aging socialite who in one scene has too much to drink. I thought she portrayed the tipsy matron perfectly.

Of course she was good in so many of her roles. My favorite was probably 84 Charing Cross Road. But who could forget her work in The Prisoner of Second Avenue, The Turning Point, The Graduate, or The Miracle Worker?.She had a long distinguished career and I will miss her. But I digress.

Not only was Anne an accomplished , talented actress, she had a face that could wear. William Holden had a face that wore well. As good as he was in Sunset Boulevard, Picnic and The Bridge over River Kwai as a young man, who could forget him in Network?

Truthfully, I have always preferred faces that reveal a past( and that isn't because my own face at 48 is generously revealing mine). I've never been attracted to the pretty boys and the glamour gals so popular in the American movie and entertainment business. Maybe this explains my penchant for low budget "B" films as well as the less than perfect stars in foreign films. The character actors cast in supporting roles are often more appealing to me than the mega movie stars.

Faces that just got better (or keep getting better) include William DaFoe, Peter Cushing, Lee Van Cleef, Vincent Gallo, Joaquin Phoenix, Jack Elam, Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, John Cassevetes, and probably a lot more I can't remember now.

Notice the lack of women? Hollywood doesn't care much for women "of a certain age". Europe seems a little more tolerant and allows their leading ladies the priviledge of aging. But then again , most of the American movie industry doesn't play to grown ups.

I caught a little of Henry's (Rollins's) Film Corner last night on IFC. He was speaking with Rob Zombie (punk musican & horror film director) and asked where are the films for "guys like him in their 40's"? I nearly fell off my chair. I guess it's not just a chick thing. I wonder who Henry thinks "gives good face"?