Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Secret Handshake

It's happening again. Since I'm not dragging my knuckles on the ground (to borrow a phrase from a fellow blogger, on hiatus
Shaking Spears who I miss ), I'm subjected to the obligatory Bush bashing, America is evil, I assume you are a Democrat, presumptuous rhetoric of the Left.
Today, it came from an artist I was speaking with from whom I had just made a significant purchase. Honestly, we had had such a nice time discussing her art and inspirations. She had spoken about her husband and grown daughter, where they lived , where they wished they lived, where they vacationed and where they went to school. She told me an amusing story about a banker and the decision not to change her name when she got married. We laughed together . Perhaps she thought we were kindred souls.
It was not my intention to find out the most I possibily could in the shortest amount of time about this person's life. I had asked very few questions. A simple nod of my head and a small smile was all it took to open the flood gates of her personal life and it had been pleasant until BAM out of nowhere it seems, I'm hit with her anger and contempt for Bush. I must not have been able to conceal my astonishment because she continued by saying "I assume you are a Democrat..."
Unwittingly, I had given the secret handshake and gained entry in her exclusive club of people who think like she does. What could it have been I wondered. I had revealed very few personal facts. All I could think of was that I had been kind and courteous and shown an interest and appreciation for the arts. Could it have been that I was gasp likeble? How then how could I NOT be a Democrat?
I've written about these presumptions before here and neo-neocon has a post on point here. I suspect as long as my Democratic friends continue to express shock, dismay and outright denial of my conservative views, I will continue to comment on it.