Friday, August 12, 2005

Creating Victims

I've been thinking of victims and victimology lately and there are a few articles floating around the web that have piqued my interest. Dr. Sanity's Aug 9th post called The Cult of the Victim mentions an article written by Thomas Sowell on how the press has made soldiers into victims.

"The plain fact is that the mainstream media have been too busy depicting our troops as victims to have much time left to tell about the heroic things they have done, the far greater casualties which they have inflicted on their enemies, or their attempts to restore some basic services and basic decencies to this country that has been torn apart for years by internal and external wars -- even before the first American troops arrived on the scene. "

It seems our culture and the press is keen on creating victims as if there weren't enough already.
I do not consider any of the soldiers in Iraq as victims. The idea that soldiers are not adults, do not have free will and were somehow coerced by the "evil Bush regime" to join the military and get killed in war is ridiculous, demeaning and insulting to those who serve.
But that is sort of the point isn't it? The insinuation is that no one could freely choose to join the military and fight the war. No, they must ALL be victims, manipulated, lied to and misled by President Bush, the entire US Congress (no wait they were lied to too), the CIA, Rumsfeld, the State Department etc....Honestly,I believe our soldiers deserve more credit and respect than that.

But then again, I've always had problems with the victim status given to so many so easily. Partly because everyone, at one time or another is victimized, but, in my experience, not everyone, as a result has to become a victim.
I have long believed that creating victims has been and continues to be a mostly political endeavor, a persuasive tool in getting and keeping power over people. The victim mentality never accepts responsibility for themselves and refuses to acknowledge the power of choice. When they receive aid and support, they are often deceived into thinking they are unable or incapable of achieving for themselves. No wonder a state of perpetual victimhood exists!
The good news is just because people may consider you a victim , doesn't mean you have to act like one (or consider yourself one).
For example, I smoked for many years and despite knowing its many risks and dangers, I still enjoyed it. It's taken me several attempts to quit and it has been difficult. But this has been entirely my choice. I do not blame my addiction on the big bad tobacco companies. Nor do I feel victimized by their zealous advertising. Contrary to popular belief , (and falsely advocated by our government, self serving politicians and grasping lawyers), tobacco companies are not responsible for my behavior. I am.