Sunday, February 27, 2005

Things to do

Yikes! I just realized I have as many "Drafts" as I have "Published " posts. I don't know what that is all about but it can't be good.

I'm reminded of the late Hunter Thompson and his infamous writers block that forced him to submit an incomplete outline to his editor which essentially innitiated his "GONZO" style of journalism. So in the spirit of Hunter's prose ( admittedly whose day has definitely come and gone), I offer this outline of the things I've been thinking about........ which may or may not get advanced.

1. Entertainment vs News : How they have become intricately entwined and muddled

2.The Lack of Critical Thinking: Who is saying what and why? Pretty simple stuff. Too bad it doesn't seem to matter in acadamia, politics, or journalism until widespread outrage occurs. How else can we explain the events and facts around "Rathergate", Eason Jorden and Ward Churchill?

3.Links and trackbacks...I'm NOT getting it

4. Giving credit: Not because I have to because I want to. Depends on when I get #3.

5. Books I just finished: Stossel's Gimme a Break, James Burke's Twin Tracks (The unexpected origins of the modern world)and Peggy Noonan's The Case Against Hilary Clinton.

6. Books in progress: Good Poems selected and introduced by Garrison Keillor

7. Books I am interested in: Thomas Sowell's The Vision of the Annointed, F.A. Hayek's The Constitution of Liberty, John Horgan's Rational Mysticism