Friday, March 18, 2005

Another nail in the coffin of MSM

My initial reaction to Steven Levy's article in Newsweek at MSNBC - Blogging Beyond the Men's Club was that the mainstream media still doesn't get it. How can a technology writer understand so little about the blogosphere (which he dares to write about) and the people who populate it (bloggers & blog readers)? No wonder I haven't renewed my subscription to Newsweek.
He says "Since anyone can write a weblog, why is the blogosphere dominated by white males?"
My answer to him is, only a white, male, mainstream media representative would ask that question and think it was the least bit pertinent. And only a white , male , mainstream media representative would believe it!
None of my experiences or perceptions support Mr. Levy's assertions.
First of all, I believe the majority of blogs belong to teenage girls, at least that has been my experience, followed by women who write personal journals. I do not believe either one of these groups would consider the blogosphere to be "dominated by white males". But then again, I can't imagine any female I know, using that language without smirking, if not guffawing.
Secondly I question the criteria used in determining Mr. Levys' "top rung" blogs. "Voluminous traffic, links from other bigfeet, conference invitations, White House press passes", isn't why I prefer some blogs to others and doesn't fit my idea of "top rung". I don't covet any of those things but clearly they are important to Mr. Levy.
Obviously he and I visit different blogs. Some I check out a couple of times a day, if only for 30 seconds. Others I may visit only twice a week, but find myself lingering, and reading a variety of articles. They are, of course entirely different kinds of blogs with their own unique appeal. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between them because they are so different.
In fact I find a great deal of diversity within the blogosphere. When Levy asks why "the top rung look so homogenous " and then answers himself with "it appears some clubbiness is involved," I have to laugh. He sets his own narrow parameters by defining "top rung" restrictively, and then critisizes, how exclusive the group is.
All this is, is just one more attempt to discredit bloggers and their phenomenal growth on the internet and maybe a splattering of personal resentment.
Afterall, the blogosphere represents a truly free press; something Mr. Levy apparently has so little appreciation for he cannot recognize or comprehend its' value and appeal.
Just about anyone, at anytime, can post anything in the blogosphere. In other words, everyone can have a voice if they choose so. No one cares who they are only if what they produce has some merit. It is a forum that is open, unregulated, often unedited and highly responsive to the changing requests and needs of its users. As a result it is constantly in flux, changing, adapting, morphing to better serve its readers,writers, and listeners. No other media reflects its' readership as well and adjusts as quickly to their changing demands.
8 million and counting bloggers "get it", so why can't mainstream media?
Links to other bloggers with posts on the same subject:
Buzz about women bloggers,women and political blogs
Blogging white male,
Whos Steven Levy? All the commentors "get it"