Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Last day in Maui

I'm back in a coffee shop on Maui, sending emails and checking my blog. This is our last day on the island and I'm already a bit remorseful.

My sister and I have spent a lot of time walking along the spectacular beaches and driving around the island. We never managed to get organized for the bicycle ride down into the volcano, or a boat trip to see the whales frolic. But we did take a helicopter ride that encompassed the entire island. Since so many areas on the island have little or no access, we found it fun and educational.

Even though the big island Hawaii and Oahu has had a lot of rain. It has been warm (80's F) and dry in Kihei. The incessant tradewinds keep it pleasant.

I bought 2 books on Hawaiian history, a background on the general settlement and development of the islands and a history of the rise and fall of the local sugar plantations, both written by local authors. I'm looking forward to reading both in the next few days.

There are so many interesting and wonderful places to visit, I don't know if I will ever return, but it has been a very enjoyable and relaxing trip. We have had the good fortune of speaking with many local folks (as well as many fellow travelers) and have found everyone to be in good humor.

My guess is the fine weather and gentle dispositions of most the people who live here directly impacts the nature of ones goals and ambitions and it's easy to understand how a year could easily morph into 20.