Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Not quite back from vacation

It's only February and I am already feeling behind in correspondence, reading, blogging. Unbelievable.

I'm in the middle of a lot of books, apparently too unfocused to finish any of them and it seems like I have multiple works in progress. I usually do finish things but I don't always believe it is imperative. So I don't know why I feel the way I do.

Maybe my trip to Maui has something to do with this. I think the island has a unique rhythm, an ebb and flow very different from the mainland. Perhaps it is the lack of distinguishable seasons and the relatively small change in annual temperatures. Maybe it's the easy manner of those who live there. But time definitely moves differently there.

I'm wondering if all fair weather places feel the same and I'm recalling past trips to Kenya and Aruba, Cancun and Hawaii. Is it the place and people or really just an attitude shared by people "on vacation" that is more relaxed, spontaneous and open?

It's been a week since I've returned and I'm just now starting to decompress.