Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Body Worlds 2:

I recently received an email announcing new expanded hours for the current Body Worlds 2 Exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. It is the most successful exhibition the museum has ever hosted hugely surpassing all other previous attendance records and is now open daily from 8:00 a.m. to midnight through July 20, and then continuously starting at 8:00 a.m. July 21 through midnight on Sunday, July 23.
Can you believe that?
Denver 's response is not exceptional. San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles have also experienced record attendances.
So what makes this exhibit appeal to so many? ( Body Works 3 is already showing in Houston.)
I enjoyed the display despite the crowds and was interested in the unique quasi embalming process referred to as Plastination. However I doubt if I would go back to see Body Works 3.
The human body without skin seemed stunningly familiar to me. It must have been all those surprisingly accurate illustrations I used to see in gyms before they turned into health clubs and in the basements of every guy I ever knew with a set of free weights.